A message from
Cardinal Seán O’Malley
Our Response to COVID-19
We Need to Take Care Of Each Other
While many aspects of life have come to a standstill, the work of Central Ministries continues to meet the needs of those who are relying on the guidance and assistance of our Church.
Here are just a few examples of the ways in which Central Ministries continue their important work to bring the presence of Christ to those who seek Him:
- A special COVID team of 19 priests has been assembled and trained to be available to give the Sacrament of the Sick to those critically ill with the virus in hospitals across the Archdiocese.
- Hospital Chaplains are working hard to offer support and resources over the phone to hospital patients, their families and hospital staff.
- Pregnancy Help centers are supporting some 100 women each month – new moms navigating motherhood and women facing crisis pregnancies.
- The Risk Management Office assembled a COVID Response Team to keep Archdiocesan parishes and schools up-to-date and informed daily about the ever-changing realities of COVID – from monitoring health and government guidelines to assisting in planning for re-opening when it is possible and sanctioned.
- The Archdiocesan Addiction Recovery ministry is continuing to provide resources and support to those struggling with addiction.
- Parish Financial Services is offering ongoing guidance to parishes and schools, and also assisted them in accessing PPP loans through the CARES Act. They also helped develop and implement the 90 Days Now – For Your Parish initiative providing supplemental daily offertory support to parishes.
- The Office of Evangelization and Discipleship created a virtual retreat so that Catholics could connect with Cardinal Seán during Holy Week and is offering a combination of webinars and ministry support every week.
This pandemic can keep us from gathering together, but it cannot stop us from continuing to be a community where we can find faith, comfort, and hope.
Please stay safe and healthy during this time and know you are in the prayers of the entire Catholic Appeal Team.
A Prayer for Our Protection
Holy Virgin of Guadalupe, Queen of the Angels and Mother of the Americas. We fly to you today as your beloved children. We ask you to intercede for us with your Son, as you did at the wedding in Cana. Pray for us, loving Mother, and gain for our nation and world, and for all our families and loved ones, the protection of your holy angels, that we may be spared the worst of this illness.
For those already afflicted, we ask you to obtain the grace of healing and deliverance. Hear the cries of those who are vulnerable and fearful, wipe away their tears and help them to trust. In this time of trial and testing, teach all of us in the Church to love one another and to be patient and kind. Help us to bring the peace of Jesus to our land and to our hearts.
We come to you with confidence, knowing that you truly are our compassionate mother, health of the sick and cause of our joy. Shelter us under the mantle of your protection, keep us in the embrace of your arms, help us always to know the love of your Son, Jesus. Amen.